After an impressive showing by volunteer cantaloupe (that were surely hybrid) last year, I bought 2 types of hybrid cantaloupe melons from Twilley Seed.
Primo cantaloupe is a typical orange meat, beige netted skin melon. It was supposed to be tolerant of powdery mildew – but that is not what I experienced this season. The other melon I planted was Galia Passport. These melons were supposed to look similar to cantaloupe and fully netted. My experience, however, was that they grew mis-shapened with mostly smooth outside skin with an occasional raised netted vein in the skin. None of them survived to harvest looking well enough to bother trying to eat, so I didn’t get to see their supposed green inside. (That is a volunteer watermelon that you see growing in the melons – I harvested 2 edible soccer ball sized melons.)
By mid-June, this is what the cantaloupe patch looked like:
By the end of June, the cantaloupe patch was still looking good – the leaves are nice and green and standing up proudly:
Disease is starting – after an unusually damp week – the leaves are getting splotchy:
We got a few cantaloupe harvested – these couple had a soft end. After I cut off the rotted section, the rest of the melon was surprisingly good.
No saving seeds this season – this is all hybrid!